The Printrbot Smalls was designed as an absolute minimalist concept. What could be more minimal than using existing component inventory and creating a 3D printer? Glad you asked! The Bare Bones Smalls Kit is a stripped-down version of the full Smalls Kit for Printrbot owners that wish to transform their existing bot into something new.
We looked over the Smalls parts list and removed anything printable as well as anything used on previous models. The Bare Bones Smalls Kit is exactly that; bare bones. You will have to use your existing Printrbot to print bar ends, bearing clamps, belt tensioner clips, a fan shroud and more. After printing all of your parts, disassemble your bot and get to work on the new build, repurposing your old motors, electronics, and extruder.
View Getting Started Materials
NOTE: This kit is subject to our Disclaimer of Assembly. After a kit has been opened, it is no longer eligible for return. For more, click here. Also, see “Requirements” section below.
- Model: 1704
- Build Volume (X-Y-Z): 100mm x 100mm x 130mm (apx 4″ x 4″ x 6″ / 80 cubic inches)
- Print Resolution: 100 Microns
- Print Speed: 80mm/sec max recommended
- Filament: 1.75mm PLA (sample included)
- Extruder: NOT INCLUDED
- Auto Leveling: Auto-Leveling Probe works with software to calibrate Z axis height (see video)
- Print Bed: Not heated – 1/8″ 6061 aluminum (0.3mm level tolerance)
- Belt: GT2 – NOT INCLUDED
- Z Lead Screw: 1/4″ 16 threaded
- Pulleys: 20 tooth, dual flange GT2 aluminum – NOT INCLUDED
- Electronics: Printrbot Rev F5 Printrboard with microUSB connection and micro SD card slot for untethered printing – NOT INCLUDED
- Software: Printrbot does not provide software, but recommends Cura v15.04 – available for free download.
- Power Requirements: 12V (6 amp) laptop power supply (included) – NOT INCLUDED
- Motors: NEMA 17 stepper. Click here for specifications. – NOT INCLUDED
- Overall Footprint*: 16.6″ x 13″ x 11″ (L x W x H)
- Click here for full Bill of Materials
- Click here to view the Autodesk/Fusion A360 3D rendering of the assembled Smalls
*Overall Footprint is the space needed to operate the full range of motion for the machine – X, Y, and Z axes travel.
- An Already Functional 3D Printer – You will have to print a large number of parts to complete this build.
- Supplemental Components – This kit does not include motors, electronics, extruder components, etc. Compare the “Bare Bones” Bill of Materials against the full Smalls Kit Bill of Materials to make sure that you have all of the parts that you will need.
- Assembly Required: Yes – READ THE DISCLAIMER OF ASSEMBLY. The Smalls Kit does not come with direct one-on-one technical support. Printrbot will provide build instructions and replace faulty parts inside of the standard 60-day warranty. You will be required to seek technical assistance at our support site and user forum at support.printrbot.com.
- A little bit of crazy – You have to be sort of out of your mind to purchase this product.
- Weight: 6 lbs
- Dimensions: 12″ x 9″ x 6″ (L x W x H)
Disclaimer of Assembly: Printrbot does not guarantee compatibility with any third party software or operating system (Repetier, Pronterface, Windows, Mac, Linux, etc). This applies to kits and assembled units.