The Printrbot Crawlbot is a CNC router that cuts 4’x8′ material, yet occupies a small footprint in your garage. The Crawlbot won “Best Large Format CNC” in Make Magazine’s 2015 Digital Fabrication Shootout. Out of the box, the Crawlbot cuts 40″ x 80″ out of a 4’x8′ sheet of plywood.
Click here to download the file to make your own table that extends the capabilities of the Crawlbot to fully cut an entire 4’x8′ sheet of plywood with no waste.
A few things to know about The Crawlbot before you buy:
- The Crawlbot is a CNC router intended to cut wood and plastic. The Crawlbot is NOT a CNC mill.
- The Crawlbot is controlled by the cncjs web-based interface. This app does NOT generate cutting tool paths or g-code.
- You will need to know how to use Fusion 360 or another CAD/CAM software to generate g-code files.
- Printrbot recommends using Autodesk Fusion 360 for your designs. There are great tutorials provided by Autodesk on creating designs and cutting tool paths. You bring the file. We’ll bring the CNC!
- If you have never designed something for a CNC router, or used a CNC router, the Crawlbot carries a steep learning curve. Before buying, be sure you are comfortable with designing your own projects. If you are not familiar with the process of designing your own projects, check out a few Fusion 360 tutorials to see what you are getting into. This is a whole new world of making, so bring your thinking cap!
- Model: 1509
- Construction: Powder coated steel and aluminum body
- Belt & Pulleys: HTD5
- Footprint: Standing up for storage 15″ x 11″
- Overall Dimensions: 72″ x 17″ x 21″ (L x W x H)
- Cut Area: 4′ x 8′ (Initially 3′ x 7′, until you cut your own table). Cut depth (Z axis) travel is 2″. However, you are limited to the length of your end mill. The mill that comes with the Crawlbot allow for a 1″ max cutting depth.
- Initial Setup:
- Mount your router.
- Install your belts and tensioners.
- Install your software.
- Click here for getting started info for your Crawlbot.
- Design File: http://a360.co/2si2EZx
- Frame Pieces: Powder coated steel as well as machined and water jet aluminum construction
- Electronics: TinyG – https://www.synthetos.com/project/tinyg/
- Power: 24v Power Supply
- Router: Makita 1 1/4 HP Compact Router
- Weight: 150lbs (with packaging)
- Dimensions: ~ 72″ x 17″ x 21″ (L x W x H)
Disclaimer of Assembly: Printrbot does not guarantee compatibility with any third party software or operating system (Repetier, Pronterface, Windows, Mac, Linux, etc). This applies to kits and assembled units.
Quick Setup Demo