DescriptionVIEW & DOWNLOAD DESIGN FILES
The Smalls is a small, portable, and versatile 3D printer kit for the hacker, maker, or student on a budget …not afraid to build a kit and engage in our community forum for support. Build volume begins at 4″ x 4″ x 6″ (X-Y-Z), but the possibility to expand is there with our upgrade kits or your own design whimsy.
Upgradeable to 8″x6″x6″ for $378 total. Click here for X Axis Upgrade.
Upgradable to 8″x6″x10″ for $477 total with product above + Z Axis Upgrade. Click here for Z Axis Upgrade.
The Smalls is perfect for customization. Paint the stock metal. Print your own parts out of any filament you like. Install almost any existing upgrade and/or accessory in the Printrbot store. Get the idea? Make the Smalls your own!
Construction decisions were pragmatic, using the right fabrication tool for each job: Pristine machined aluminum, water jet 5052 and 6061 aluminum plate, and just a dollop of 3D printed parts to give it that “reprap flavor”.
Okay, so how does it print? Since this is a kit, the results are largely up to you, but make no mistake. In the hands of an experienced user (like the ones we have here at PBHQ), the Smalls can produce results comparable to the Play, Simple, or Plus.
This absolutely is the lowest priced 3D printer we’ve ever released! (except for one other laser cut wood kit with fishing line instead of belts and sandpaper pulleys instead of real pulleys that was only available for a limited time until we corrected both price and some design problems …but let’s just keep that between us). It is definitely the least expensive printer that we will EVER, EVER release …that we know of. …for now.
We are pretty sure it is the most affordable American-Made 3D printer. Definitely the most economical Northern-California-Made 3D printer. Totally the most budget-friendly 3D printer manufactured in Lincoln, CA. Not “cheap”, just inexpensive.View Getting Started Materials
NOTE: This kit is subject to our Disclaimer of Assembly. After a kit has been opened, it is no longer eligible for return. For more, click here. Also, see “Requirements” section below.
- Model: 1704
- Build Volume (X-Y-Z): 100mm x 100mm x 130mm (apx 4″ x 4″ x 6″ / 80 cubic inches)
- Print Resolution: 100 Microns
- Print Speed: 80mm/sec max recommended
- Filament: 1.75mm PLA (sample included)
- Extruder: Injection Molded v2 Direct Drive Extruder
- Auto Leveling: Auto-Leveling Probe works with software to calibrate Z axis height (see video)
- Print Bed: Not heated – 1/8″ 6061 aluminum (0.3mm level tolerance)
- Belt: GT2
- Z Lead Screw: 1/4″ 16 threaded
- Pulleys: 20 tooth, dual flange GT2 aluminum
- Electronics: Printrbot Rev F5 Printrboard with microUSB connection and micro SD card slot for untethered printing
- Software: Printrbot does not provide software, but recommends Cura v15.04 – available for free download.
- Power Requirements: 12V (6 amp) laptop power supply (included)
- Motors: NEMA 17 stepper. Click here for specifications.
- Overall Footprint*: 16.6″ x 13″ x 11″ (L x W x H)
- Click here for full Bill of Materials
- Click here to view the Autodesk/Fusion A360 3D rendering of the assembled Smalls
*Overall Footprint is the space needed to operate the full range of motion for the machine – X, Y, and Z axes travel.
- Assembly Required: Yes – READ THE DISCLAIMER OF ASSEMBLY. The Smalls Kit does not come with direct one-on-one technical support. Printrbot will provide build instructions and replace faulty parts inside of the standard 60-day warranty. You will be required to seek technical assistance at our support site and user forum at support.printrbot.com.
- Weight: 12 lbs
- Dimensions: 12″ x 9″ x 6″ (L x W x H)
Disclaimer of Assembly: Printrbot does not guarantee compatibility with any third party software or operating system (Repetier, Pronterface, Windows, Mac, Linux, etc). This applies to kits and assembled units.